UnionPay in Suriname
UnionPay International (UPI) is a subsidiary of China UnionPay
focused on the growth and support of UnionPay’s global business. In partnership with more than 1800 institutions worldwide, UnionPay International has enabled card acceptance in 170 countries and regions with issuance in 48 countries and regions.
The UnionPay cards issued by Southern Commercial Bank
The Southern Commercial Bank has developed the Consumer Classic Card, Consumer Gold Card and the Business Card. These cards are “dual currency” prepaid cards, which means that the card can be used both in Suriname (SRD) and abroad (USD). The card transactions that are supported by these prepaid cards are the same as the card transactions that are supported by credit cards.
The renewed UnionPay Cards offer more possibilities
All UnionPay cards support the following types of transactions:
- ATM Withdrawal and ATM Balance Inquiry. For ATM-transactions, a 6-digit PIN code is required which is provided together with the card.
- POS Purchase, Purchase Cancellation, Refund and Pre-authorization. Only a signature is required for POS Payment; a pin code is not required. This increases the acceptance of the card in countries such as the USA.
- E-Commerce. For an E-commerce transaction, the cardholder must indicate the card number, CVN2 code and the expiration date of the card. In some cases, the website where you make your purchases may also request a One Time Password (OTP). In such a situation you will receive an SMS from UnionPay on your mobile phone. So always make sure that your mobile phone number is known to the Southern Commercial Bank.
- QuickPass. This is the contactless solution from UnionPay. You can make a payment by simply holding your card against the POS terminal. Inserting your card into the POS terminal is not necessary.
- Transit. With the UnionPay card, paying for public transportation in China is possible. It is expected that more and more countries, including Suriname will accept the UnionPay card to pay for public transportation.
- Online Shopping: Purchase items from Amazon and other big online retailers.
- On Vacation: Book your next trip on Expedia.com and easily make payments anywhere in the world.
- On a Business Trip: Make your business trips worry free. UnionPay cards can also be given to employees on business trips. So no more hassle when employees need to report and declare expenses.
- To Study: Student abroad can now easily receive money from parents.
The cost of your UnionPay payment card
- Payment Card Fees
- Initial fee: $ 10
- Card replacement: $ 10
- Consumer Classic: $ 10
- Consumer Gold: $ 20
- Business: $ 30
- ATM Withdrawal: USD 2 + 1.5%
- ATM Balance Inquiry: $ 0.50
- Cross Border Transaction: 0.4%
- Expired Card Management: $ 2.00 per month
Please notice that All UnionPay Cards ATM withdrawal limit is $500 per day.
Download our UnionPay application form here