2013 is a special year for the Chinese in Suriname. This year we commemorate together with the total community the jubilee year, under which also the 160 year Chinese Immigration .
Activities that were organized around the celebration of 160 year Chinese Immigration were:
- Seminar and photo exhibition ,
- Float and walking parade. One of the few moments in Suriname’s history , where many Chinese were on the streets.
- Published the photobook ” Beyond the shopkeeper’s counter ; Images of Chinese Life in Suriname ‘ , which is composed by Ranu Abhelakh , Paul Tjon Sie Fat and Edward Troon .
Southern Commercial Bank NV join in the celebration by bringing the book “Beyond the shopkeeper’s counter; Images of Chinese Life in Suriname’ closer to the community, so that we can contribute to the development of a better understanding to the Chinese community.With the consent of the authors, this book was donated to the following institutions:
- Cultureel Centrum Noord
- Onderwijs Bibliotheek
- IOL bibliotheek
- St. Aloysiusschool
- Christiaan Davidschool
- Bibliotheek Elizabeth 1, 2 en Kathedraleschool
- St. Louiseschool
- Algemene Middelbare School
- Academie voor Hoger Kunst en Cultuur
- Suriname College of Hospitality and Tourism
- Villa Zapakara